Re: Grading in elementary

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 05:22:55 PST

 It's more of a commentary than agrade, I think. It is reflective of the
child's interest and
>involvement in learning about art, which is a visual language and a
>vital part of our culture. . . . I frequently ask them to take risks and
remind them that they
>cannot grow if they do not take risks.

Amen, Linda et al. I think that the effort and trying something new goes
into my grading, too. But one thing I noticed this year, with rotations of
4 1/2 weeks, is that if I have time to have kids do the same painting
project twice, they are willing to risk even more. After all, that's what
I do as a professional--sketch after sketch,
study after study, until I'm satisfied.

I think that is one of the areas that we don't address in art
education--that we repeat until we are satisfied.
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---