Re: Grading in elementary

---------

From: Rachel Collings (rcolling_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 11:48:23 PST

I grade every 9 weeks in my elementary school. My 3rd, 4th, and 5th
graders get letter grades, the younger ones are graded more on
development and cooperation. I see my students once a week for an
hour. I'm at two elementary schools. I find that the older kids
don't have a lot of finished projects to grade in the 9 weeks, so I
grade them in stages. I also grade their sketches and any class work
we do together. It's a lot of work, but grading in stages seems to
help produce stronger works of art. I am able to catch the "oops"
things and can re-teach or repeat a demonstration if I see my
students aren't grasping the concepts of the assignments.

hope that helps.
rachel

>Hi, I am trying to get feedback for an upcoming meeting.
>There is a question why we don't grade every nine weeks. .
>My question is: are there any elementary art people out there who
>grade every nine weeks?
>If so, how many students do you have? and do you see them more than
>once a week?
> I think that giving grades would have us be considered more
>important, but do think it would be a disservice to the kids. It
>would be like grading the student every two weeks in the regular
>classroom.
>Any feed bback would be helpful.
>Still off my computer and borrowing my husbands.......
>Thanks,
>Betsy
>---

---