Re: Grading in elementary-reports

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 22:13:46 PST

I can't remember the exact wording but I did like the grading 1-2 & 3-5
we art teachers developed for our district.
I could never convince the district to let us send reports 2 times a
year. The argument for quarterly reports was to send the message home
that art and music are of equal importance to the academics. The
administration was concerned that reducing the reports would diminish
the importance in the parents minds. I couldn't disagree with that.

Basically the 3-5 check list had 3 parts:
1st addressed understanding the concept and the 3 check possibility was
1) exceeds expectation, 2) meets expectation, and 3) needs support.
2nd addressed work skills (can't remember exact wording for skills)
3rd addressed attitude (can't remember exact wording for skills)
There was space for notes when needed.
I thought it was important to get a maximum of information to the
parent with a minimum of checks on my part to check, check, check 500+
reports a marking quarter. I put myself in the parent point of view
and decided plus, check, and minus really didn't tell me much about
what the child was achieving.
If anyone needs more information I can try to get an exact copy.

Can't believe it left my brain so quickly only 1+ years into retirement
;<)
Sharon ~ NJ
~~~~~~

---