Re: Grading in elementary

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 22:10:17 PST

I am assuming that Linda and others who have each class for an hour
break the time into segments. How nice to have the time to spend with
a group critique from time to time as the work progresses and to enrich
production by enjoying a related artist or story. The little guys
work better when the time is arranged in related segments.

Repetition can be difficult when introduced but when the students get
used to it and see how many artists have set this challenge for
themselves and see how their work improves when they try alternative
approaches to the same challenge they will embrace it. Once when we
were doing an observational drawing series of "shoes" I had a parent
come in to ask how much longer this shoe unit was going to last. She
had a 3rd grader and a 5th grader and after they had drawn every shoe
in the house they had set up a shoe still life on the dining table.
They threatened anyone who moved a shoe. She just wanted to know when
the family could expect to get their shoes back and be able to eat at
the table again. She did appreciate how they were engaged in the
project.

When I present the shoe series in teacher workshops I am always asked
how the students keep interest for so many weeks. The answer is the
shoe is a thread that runs throughout the project but the variety comes
in the 1) sketch activity and observational drawing, 2) the history of
shoe design and the social & technical/scientific history as seen by
the shoe, 3) Viewpoint and developing a still life, 4) Shoes in art,
5) Interpreting shoes in imaginative drawing, 6) rubrics, and finally
7) designing a portfolio cover
Sharon ~ NJ
~~~~~
So, do they kids and/or parents complain about this repetition? How do
you keep it 'fun'? I get the kids 55 min a week and it's so hard to
spend that much time on a project and keep them involved?
Jan