Re: Creating a Participation Rubric

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 10:45:43 PST

I'm curious as to how you are going to use your rubric while you are having
group discussions. Do you count down for the student who doesn't actively
participate (#1) or just sits quietly and listens (#2). I love having
discussions, then have students write a written critique as this allows me
to judge what the quiet ones are thinking. I look for vocabulary, concepts,
and growth in personal thinking. This area is always challenging to grade so
I'm interested in the final product. :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> I am working on a rubric to measure student particpation in group
discussions
> and critiques. I've come up with only 3 things to assess (see below) and
> would like to have 5. Can anyone contribute any suggestions for two more
> criteria to put on the rubric? This is for a high school art class.
>
> 1. The student actively participates offering constructive input to the
group
> discussion.
> 2. The student sits quietly and listens when others are speaking.
> 3. The student responds to questions asked by the teacher or the group.
> 4.
> 5.
>
> I feel like the answer to this one is staring me in the face, but I can't
see
> the forest for the trees! Should I include something about response to
> criticism? What am I not thinking of that a student would do that would
be
> evidence of learning in a group discussion setting? Any input would be
> appreciated. Thanks!

---