Linda's problem - shows the NEED for Character Ed

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 09:05:27 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

I apologize for not reading all of your advice to
Linda. I gave mine to her off list. I went to the
archives to see what all of you had to say and they
are not updated yet. I hope that your posts get added
soon.

Linda's problem shows the real need for Character
Education in our schools today -- and why ART is the
perfect subject to teach it. I have a hard time
understanding why the "real" teachers do not respect
ART. I guess I will never understand it....but I can
always wonder and hope that there will be a better day
for all art teachers. For now - art teachers will have
to be the "Indians", I guess.

My students and I talked a lot about adult behavior we
didn't like -- and what we could do to help change
that. We tried to change adult behavior -- it is just
hard to do. We did have success with some....and we
had out own way of dealing with the ones we couldn't
change (we had our toothpicks - and I shared mine all
the time).

Survival Kit:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Survival.htm

Yep - you are right kids loved me -- teachers hated me
(some of them)....Oh well....sorry - but that old
"knife in the back" hurt sometimes. I don't miss that
one bit. Oh yes - I DID show my image from Keith
Haring that showed my view quite clearly.
I can help you get rid of that knife, too - if you
ever have a need.....

Judith