For all of you Quote Collectors

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 13:03:38 PST

We have another Quote Collector among us - Katherine
Douglas on Art Educators' list...If anyone wants to
jump over to get her posts first hand let me know.

I do pass on many of her "gems" to all lists.

From Katherine:

I am a collector of great quotes, or 'nuggets" as I
call them. Here are a few that I had posted to our
web log ("blog") whose web address follows my
signature. Hope these can help in some way.

"What does one want to `say' about what one has
experienced? What is the point from which the work
builds? Attention to such matters in classrooms is
often neglected. One of the most important pedagogical
tasks is to help students formulate something to say
that matters to them."

from
THE ARTS AND THE CREATION OF MIND
by Elliot W. Eisner
New Haven: Yale University Press 2002
P. 98:

Many random quotes from George Szekely in his 1988
book ENCOURAGING CREATIVITY IN ART LESSONS (Teachers
College Press)

" Professional artists take pride in discovering their
own ideas for art, regarding innovation as essential
and imitation as deadly."

"The essential goal of art teaching is to inspire
children to behave like artists--to try on the
artist's role--to feel what it is to gather an art
idea on one's own and act on it. The goal is to reveal
to children that art comes from within themselves--not
from the teacher. The goal is to demystify art, and
assure children, through the teacher's deeds and
words, that art is found in familiar places and
ordinary environments, accessible
to everyone. It is to bring children closer to
art--nearer to themselves, to their own views and
visions."

"...art is not like most other school subjects. Most
subjects are primarily concerned with traditional
knowledge; art making is concerned with making an
original response to immediate experience."

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing
its best, night and day, to make you like everybody
else, is to fight the hardest battle any human being
can fight, and never stop fighting." e.e. cummings
(source unknown; I have had this quote forever)

In (NAEA Fellow) Peter London's new book DRAWING
CLOSER TO NATURE he states that "Art is a holistic
language that is uttered from the mind, body and
spirit. In this way, art is a perfect form of
_expression with which to imagine, investigate,
propose, and engage in a new word view...art and the
creative process are seen as an entirely natural and
universal method of forming meaning..." (p. 2)

Kathy Douglas
http://knowledgeloom.org/tab
http://tabchoiceteaching.blogspot.com/

Judith - Who is now, thanks to Widow "Red" Bryant the
Dollmaker - proud to be "Somebody's Weirdo". Here is
my Widow "Red" Bryant quote.

"Everybody is somebody else's weirdo."

Don't know if all of the symbols will translate - but
it is a wavey line.