Re: Grading in elementary

---------

From: sandra summers-barrick (tamayo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 08:16:28 PST

How many students do you have? I have 440 1st through 8th. I don't have
enough space for a portfolio for each child.I don't think I'd have time
to put the camera down if I took a picture of each child's work from
each lesson, I do keep each work on a shelf and then we will weed
through each quarter and they will keep four items for the art fair, we
will go through again and weed out in 9 weeks. eventually everyone will
have one item in the show. (of course I'd really like to pick some work
over other work), but I am letting them choose. The way I grade a
lesson, I use a form which has 4-5 categories and there is a scale from
1-5 that I circle. This helps determine the grade and then I log that in
my grade book. The students receives their form, but I will be changing
that- I am now going to send them home in the thursday folders so the
parents can see them.
We use easy grade pro. but for 1-3 I have to use a S+,S and N ( I may
switch this to an O, S). I have used the N in the comment form and
explained why. I also have commented on those that talk too much and
don't spend there time wisely. The older ones I have commented on
disrespectful to teacher and students and no effort.
sandra
lindwood@webtv.net wrote:
> I might add to the first post from me regarding this topic:
> As I add images to a mini portfolio I can see at a glance if a child is
> behind, not working to their capacity, exhibiting growth in skills, not
> trying, etc. If a child is ever in need of a midquarter comment, I will
> know it instantly and can dash one off

---