Re: Grading in elementary

---------

From: Marcy Bogdanich (marcy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 06:02:54 PST

I am an elementary art teacher, I see my students once a week for 60 minutes, and in my district we have always graded every nine weeks. Around 9 years ago we had a large report card review and the special areas pushed for letter grades. We felt that our subjects were important enough to make the switch from O, S and U. Since then we have been using A, B etc. I have over 500 students (kinders do not get a grade) and now record all grades on the district purchased computer program. It is a lot of grading since each child usually receives 5 to 6 grades per nine week period! The new computer program now allows for percentage grades which I actually like better, and have begun using.