Re: raising hands - Mark

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 07:10:17 PST

Sandy Bacon wrote:

> Mark Alexander wrote:
>
> > .I remind them the bell less for them to know when to go than it is a
> > reminder for me to begin considering letting them go.
> >
> > Mark
> >
> Mark, I love this! I'll have to use it the next time my 4th grade boys
> head for the door thinking I am going to let them get away with leaving
> without me getting in the last word!

I use this line with my HSers the very first day of school: "The bell
does not dismiss you, _I_ dismiss you." I think it came from Harry
Wong. I'd had problems for years with students edging towards the door
before the bell, then lining up before the bell, then slipping out the
door, then actually getting halfway down the hall before the bell rang.
This tactic works like a charm. They MUST stay seated when the bell
rings; NO ONE gets to stand up and wait for me to dismiss them. I have
classes that stay seated no matter what, even when I've gotten
distracted by someone at the door and forgotten to dismiss them; I turn
around, and they're still there!

Maggie

---