RE: mosaic stepping stones

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 06:57:19 PST

I remember in Italy and France handy homeowners would make sidewalks and driveways out of cement tiles. Like folk art, each pattern was unique. They made forms out of 2x3's and plywood, and poured the concrete themselves. The tiles were seldom simple squares, usually involving tessilating shapes such as pentagons, diamonds, triangles and the like. They frequently tinted the concrete, and placed in the molds stuff like pebbles and chards of tiles. Some of my favorites had leaves and sticks placed in the mold, leaving a natural looking relief on the face of each finished tile. I always thought it would be fun to try it myself one day, and I don't see why it couldn't be done in a clasroom setting.
Mark
 "Sears, Ellen" <ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us> wrote:Are there pre-made 2 x 2s? If so - cover each with an icing of concrete
(not quick setting) - place shards, marbles, game pieces - whatever into the
concrete - let cure....no need to grout.

Or tile the regular old way on pre-made stepping stones - be sure to
use the additive for the grout since they will be outside...

I have done it both ways - might save some time over molds and
pouring -

Ellen