Re: motivation #2

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 17:11:18 PST

I agree that this time of year can be tough, especially after all the
snow days. But, I think what keeps the kids motivated is that I get so
excited about the projects, they catch the fever. Every time I
introduce something new, or even if it is a continuation of the same
project, I find a new twist or fact, or story, something to spark them.
 The other day the kids came in and it was the third week we have been
working on egg tempera paintings. They loved making their own egg
tempera, but some of the students who had finished the previous week we
in fear they would have to sketch or look at Middle Age material until
everyone else finished. Instead, I gathered them around for a science
demonstration. We made rainbow paintings, primary stripes across 12x18
paper, leaving white spaces between. Here I demonstrate how to mix the
colors. They were so enthralled I was told by one student that I was
better than the guy on TV! Then I told them about tapestries showed
them pictures, and showed them how when dry, I cut the rainbow paper and
turned it iinto warp and weft. Now, they are all excited to get to the
art room again.

Sometimes, it's all in changing the rhythm when introducing a lesson, I
guess. Good luck.

Sandy

---