Re: motivation at elementary level

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 16:46:46 PST

    Two years prior to my retirement, my school started having monthly town
meetings for the whole school. Any teacher could sign up to be on the
agenda. For art awards for student work selected to be in community
exhibits, my principal footed the bill to have ribbons printed in our school
color with a palette and the logo "Greensview Featured Artist." On the back
of the ribbon was a tab where I could write the reason for the award. The
students were so proud to receive these ribbons. I honored students in all
the grades and the K-primary teachers were especially pleased that I gave
their students recognition.
    Another thing I did at one of the town meetings was to have some classes
present and participate in an Art Jeopardy game, based on a visitation by a
professor of Chinese Art History from OSU who came to talk to the 3rd and
4th grades. My lunch and recess time art club made the props and the whole
school learned as the classes played the game.

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                    Art teacher, K-5, retired

---