Re: when things go bad

---------

From: Ricardo Ramirez (rramirez2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 11:32:48 PST

Having one or two of the desks (corral) from Issc in the art room are
good reinforcers. I use it with with students of this nature. I also
have these students loose the opportunity to do the assignment...the
alternative assignment is for them to read articles on the assignment,
paraphrase each article and then write the steps on how to create this
work. I usually get the student's team leader to set up a meeting with
the student and myself and his or her english teacher. I usually get a
lot of wrting assignments for the student to do before the paper is
actually written. This is a lot of work, yet the students quickly learn
to sit down, listen and work independantly.

I hope this helps,

Ricardo

>>> bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us 02/22/03 02:12PM >>>

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: arcement@datastar.net
>....If you are able to give me some more clues as to how to
> deal with the H.S. Quarterback, who is a tenth grader, who refuses to
quiet
> when I teach and is constantly vying for someones attention, I would
really
> appreciate it. The most intolerable part is that he sasses me
daily!!! I
> have sent him to in-school-suspension to make him think, but he will
> probably come back as cocky as ever! I would love to have some
ideas that
> would be creative to give him the attention that he obviously needs,
without
> having the rest of my students suffer in the process.
> Sincerely, Idus in southern Mississippi
*******************************

Ahhhhh. I had a little charmer like that this past week myself except
mine
was probably shorter and smaller than yours (grin). Aren't they a
delight?!
I'm guessing you've done the usual like a little one-on-one
inspirational
technique? Have you tried a little humor (which is REALLY hard when
you're
pissed) to defuse the situation, get the classroom relaxed, and perhaps
make
him look childish to his peers so that THEY wind up policing his
actions?

My charmer was asked to remove his hat in class which is a school rule.
He
didn't. When I asked again he stood up, walked over to me, took off his
hat,
stretched out his hand with hat, and dropped it on the floor right in
front
of me. Sweet little thing...8th grader. I smiled at him and told me he
really should hold on to his possessions so they wouldn't get lost.
Kids
started giggling and the tables were turned. (Lordy that was so hard
do...not to lose my cool as I was sooooo mad!) His hat stayed on the
floor
until he was forced to pick it up later. Later we had some one-on-one.
I've
been through 4 detentions with his bad attitude/sass so I've started
the
ball rolling with the counselor and VP to have him removed from my
class.
Whether or not that happens, I don't know but I feel good about the
possibility.

 It's that "gotcha" moment they're looking for, isn't it?! One
up-man-ship
they so desperately need. I think the best possible way is using humor
and
get the class to buy into YOU instead of the student which humor will
accomplish...as long as it's not personally directed to making fun of
the
student. You have to leave them with some dignity in tact or it's not
workable and it's opening another wormy can.

Same thing goes with the one-on-one. You don't accomplish much if this
little talk is one-sided or if you don't give him any space for keeping
his
dignity or expressing his viewpoint. Sometimes it's not possible to
work it
all out. Then it's on to a good paper trail, parent call, counselor,
VP,
etc. I've chalked my charmer into a "personality conflict" and freely
admit
to it. Now it's on to other avenues. That's the advice I'd suggest.
Toodles...Bunki

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---