Re: raising hands and wait time

---------

From: J & M Bolyard (gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 19:31:11 PST

Let me throw this into the discussion- "wait time" Research shows most
teachers give one- second or less wait time. For me, I just discovered ,
if I'm not looking at the crazed hands of the same students who answer
questions, I give more wait time. This forces them to think the question
through more than a second. My students are just getting use to ( middle
of a 6 week period) to not raising hands. It is hard to change old
habits and yes, most teachers in the other classes still use the
traditional method. But , hey you never know until you experiment .
MaryB

Ellen Silverman wrote:

> My students have found that you definitely do not have to raise your
> hand in my class to be choose to give the answer. The questions I ask
> are usually open ended so I feel no qualms to insist after I choose
> someone that they most answer. I have many shy, quiet students in my
> bilinquel classes, that have run into my steamroller technique.

---