Motivations Stream...

---------

From: Y.R. Brown (imaniyo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 15:33:57 PST

Hi Folks:

Thank you all for the great tips on motivations and rewards. Here's my
contribution:

I have used a color coded non-verbal tool in my middle school classes. I
have had moderate success with this tool...I made a short stack/tower of
disposable plastic drinking cups--Red, Blue and Green.

The Red cup represents that the students at the table are finished and need
me to come over and check their work.

The Blue cup represents that the students at the table are in need of
assistance.

The Green cup represents that the students at the table are working and
doing okay.
For most of the period the kids have the green cup on top of the stack.

Please continue to share rewards for on task kids and tips for off task. I
am having a heck of a time with some of my eight grade students. I have
some students that are sassie, physically aggressive, and varieties of
other inappropriate behaviors. I have met with parents, students,
principals, team teachers, and the guidance counselours but the kids are
still creating challenges for me and the other students. As you know many
kids think art is a loss leader in their educational process--Art Sucks and
Has Nothing to do with my Life Attitude Prevails.

YRBrown