Judy Decker's Mona Bucks - online

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 11:21:23 PST

The topic of Motivation has come up on the Getty list.

I had a file of Mona Reward bucks online but just found out that folks had
trouble loading the images. I just re-did it in FrontPage (had been a word
file I saved as html). Now the file loads quickly. You might have to play
with it a while to get them to print right on front and back of your paper.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mona.htm

I will continue to forward the file off list to those who request it (it
takes a while to download).

This is how I used them (form a message I sent off list):

I gave them out for all sorts of things... working quietly (good
behavior)...for always having a pencil (I required them to bring one ---but
I always had pencils I gave to them to use if they forgot --- you know how
the boys like to break pencils...having them provide one cut done on the
number of mine that got destroyed)....showing kindness to someone
else....turning in a WOW homework assigment....getting work done on
time....helping out in the classroom (when not asked or told to do so --
like voluntarily cleaning up the sink area or re-organizing the
supplies --anything I say them do).....I did not use them to reward
"talent" -- their grades rewarded that.

I made it the student's responsibility to keep track of their money. They
turned it in at the end of the trimester for a slice of pizza for lunch or a
gell pen (for having 10 mona bucks)....a candy bar was 5 mona bucks....I had
all sorts of diffferent candies worth different amounts of bucks...I had a
bunch of stuff from Oriental Trading Company (pencil sharpeners - plastic
rulers....artsy stuff) that was worth different amounts....I had assorted
pans and pencils... I based the value of the prizes on what I had to pay for
them. Gell pens and pizza each cost me about a a dollar. The money I had to
spend was well worth it. I am going to forward your message to Michal -- so
you can find out more about how to use them.

Judy Decker

---