Re: when things go bad

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 10:07:12 PST

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> >From: arcement@datastar.net
> >....If you are able to give me some more clues as to how to
> > deal with the H.S. Quarterback, who is a tenth grader, who refuses to quiet
> > when I teach and is constantly vying for someones attention, I would really
> > appreciate it. The most intolerable part is that he sasses me daily!!!

> I think the best possible way is using humor and
> get the class to buy into YOU instead of the student which humor will
> accomplish...as long as it's not personally directed to making fun of the
> student. You have to leave them with some dignity in tact or it's not
> workable and it's opening another wormy can.

Bunki's right, you can't back a student into a corner or he will be
forced to lash out. Humor really does work, as long as you can keep
your cool. I know I sound like a broken record (scratched CD?) by
bringing up Fred Jones all the time, but his Tools for Teaching really
helped me. As he says, "Calm is strength. Upset is weakness." As for
backtalk, he says, "It takes one fool to backtalk. It takes two fools
to make a conversation out of it." Whooaa! I clammed up immediately
after reading that! Now when I get backtalk I just give the kid a bored
look, walk away, and deal with it later. That may be a little
one-on-one chat after class (when we've both calmed down), or a
disciplinary writeup if profanity was used. You are the adult, you've
seen and heard it all, and you can't let a punk get the better of you.

Jones also advocates "working the room" and getting in close proximity
to disrupters; I do this to the point where I perch on the kid's desk
and explain the lesson to the class while looking directly at him.

I don't usually have too much trouble with jocks as they know I'll go
straight to the coach. The football coach I mentioned in my Motivation
post will come down real hard on disrepectful players. This surprises
them as many don't know about his ceramics background and that he LIKES
art.

Maggie

---