Re: mural management

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 07:11:07 PST

Mark, I think I would give part of them a drawing assignment while 3-4 painted. I wouldn't let them rotate sooner than 20 minutes, just because they are just going to be getting into it when they get pulled off. A favorite drawing assignment of mine is to give them a list of items to draw to create a composition. I have this posted at http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/artlessons/fifth/14object.html . When I did a similar assignment with middle school (I had a sub that day) I added their hand, a moon, and a sun. With just pencil they look really neat. Good luck and be sure to take pictures to share! :-)
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>I'm starting a mural with sixth graders in the next week. I am lookiing for ideas on how to manage the mural painters out in the hall, while supervising the rest of the class. I have three classes of sixth graders, each class with 14 or so students. There simply isn't enough room for all of them to work on this 3 foot wide by 7 foot tall wall all at once. I can't see in the classroom from the mural wall. At first I thought I would have the whole class out in the hall with me, and while three or four rotated into the mural painting work, the rest worked on a perspective drawing lesson in the hall, but these are both activities where they'll need a lot of my attention. Also, in comparison to mural painting, perspective isn't a very attractive alternate activity and I can envision management difficulties.
  Any ideas for less teacher intensive projects with a high enough engagement level that students would be able to work on out in the hall?

---