mural management

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 06:50:15 PST

I'm starting a mural with sixth graders in the next week. I am lookiing for ideas on how to manage the mural painters out in the hall, while supervising the rest of the class. I have three classes of sixth graders, each class with 14 or so students. There simply isn't enough room for all of them to work on this 3 foot wide by 7 foot tall wall all at once. I can't see in the classroom from the mural wall. At first I thought I would have the whole class out in the hall with me, and while three or four rotated into the mural painting work, the rest worked on a perspective drawing lesson in the hall, but these are both activities where they'll need a lot of my attention. Also, in comparison to mural painting, perspective isn't a very attractive alternate activity and I can envision management difficulties.
Any ideas for less teacher intensive projects with a high enough engagement level that students would be able to work on out in the hall?
Mark