Re: raised hands, keeping them on their toes (too funny)

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 06:32:59 PST

Another handraising tale, while we're on the topic, is how to handle those who vigourously wave their hand around with their other hand, squeeking, groaning while virtually bursting out of their seats. While enthusiasm is good, the overbearing disruption of their lack of self control is not. I prefer more respectful participation, as it is more likely to give the shy, more thoughtful, quiet ones in the class a chance to respond. I'll often say something like, "It looks like _______ thinks he knows the answer, but I'm looking for quiet hands."
Once I responded to a 4th grade boy who had chronic difficulties controling his exuberant hand (and who repeatedly displayed other inappropriate attention getting behaviors) with "Are you ok? Do you need to go to the nurse?" which gave the class a chuckle at his expense and was probably not a good way for me to have handled it. I know resorting to sarcasm seldom helps, and I slipped up there in that case, but I had a one-on-one with him later and apologized. I frequently apologize to students for my mess ups while I ask them to apologize for their part in the problem. In the end, his participation style improved. We are all learning in my classroom.
Mark
 Rick <rlarson@tls.net> wrote:Or the ones who have their hand up, to be a part of the group, but if you call on them it's : I was just scratching my head." Too funny!