Re: raised hands, keeping them on their toes (too funny)

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 02:39:11 PST

Hi All,
(and Mark) Teaching elementary art, I have gone back to raining hands to give answers, the ones who shout out never give the shyer ones a chance to be heard. It also keeps my sanity and ears intact !
An ADD/ADHD student can get really lost in a room of multiple shouting answers. (too confusing )

I love it when you call on a student(without hand up ) to supply the answer and they shoot back with
" but I didn't have my hand up !!! " (all perplexed looking)
I answer back "but that's why I want you to think about it and try an answer"
I agree that the teacher's response to incorrect answers is critical, to helping a student see that it's ok to try !
The ones that I shoot down are the totally goofy responses to get a laugh out of the rest of their "buddies"
"no it's not funny, it's just rude"
That usually nips the class clown in the bud and gets them to try a real answer most of the time.
I tell them to give their brain some exercise, the old "use it or lose it" line :)

Great discussion !
 Christine Besack :)