Re: raising hands

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 21:32:56 PST

I just reread and realized I wanted to say that I use the handraising technique more to find out who thinks they know the answer than to find someone to call on. A little like with my middle schoolers who hear the bell and start to leave....I remind them the bell less for them to know when to go than it is a reminder for me to begin considering letting them go.
Mark
 Mark Alexander <markcalexander@yahoo.com> wrote:
I would like to hear more on your query techniques, as I know there are more I haven't mastered or even heard of then there are those I use. This is yet another reason I love this list....constantly rethinking strategies helps me every day.
The youngers I teach are conditioned to hand raising as the accepted technique in virtually all of their classes. The middles are better prepared to handle a more natural 'discussion' technique while being respectful to others, so I more often than not go with that ability.
My preference in avoiding chaos may have sounded as if I was a control freak, when in fact I am quite loose in the classroom. I have always presented the need for an orderly motivation time as the price the students have to pay for the freedom to talk and move about while the actual lesson is underway and for the most part they buy into that need. I find that the structure that handraising brings in the beginning of the lesson seems to help them focus on the motivations and demonstrations.
Often when the student I call on is stuck I do use the 'ask a friend to help them' method, after an appropriate wait time. Sharing knowledge that way seems to work well in helping them actually remember the material as well as having two or three people feeling proud that they've been able to contribute. That's a good technique and they like it.
I think that the most important part of my 'I wish that were right' response I refer to is that first I'm acknowledging that even if their answer was wrong, it was valuable and they should be proud of their contribution. While of course this could be done without handraising, too, I'm known for sometimes thanking a student for a wrong answer because it suggests a tangent into new directions. I am usually very flexible and often a wrong answer will remind me to present new vocabulary or inspire me to offer the class another choice to add to their artmaking project. While I don't encourage wrong answers, I often find them useful.
I have a lot to learn. Thanks for your help, MaryB.
Mark
 J & M Bolyard <gregjuli@execpc.com> wrote: Mark
I wish I could send you the videos I've seen that demonstrate other
questioning strategies. It can work quite well ( not having hand
raising). If you call on a student that doesn't know an answer, delving
techiniques are quite useful as are strategies like-Ask a Friend and
Share - Pair. When I delve for an answer with a student, they know I'm
not giving up on them or going away. So for them to say "I dunno "
doesn't cut it. Of course there are times hand raising is needed.
It's possible to have little chaos with other techniques. But I always
say - whatever works! Although it is fun to try new things. One
technique I saw for young students involved putting their hands on their
heads if they knew the answer . The teacher waited till everyone had
their hands on their head (built in "wait time") and then picked
someone. Would not work with my 8th graders!
MaryB

Mark Alexander wrote:
I do request handraising, as it helps control the chaos in priary
grades. However, I often call of those who do not have their hands up.
Keeps 'em on their toes. Of course I am careful with this, since I don't
want anyone to be embarrassed, and only use it when of when I'm looking
for something where there is not going to be a wrong answer,