raising hands

---------

From: J & M Bolyard (gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 19:41:10 PST

  Mark
I wish I could send you the videos I've seen that demonstrate other
questioning strategies. It can work quite well ( not having hand
raising). If you call on a student that doesn't know an answer, delving
techiniques are quite useful as are strategies like-Ask a Friend and
Share - Pair. When I delve for an answer with a student, they know I'm
not giving up on them or going away. So for them to say "I dunno "
doesn't cut it. Of course there are times hand raising is needed.
 It's possible to have little chaos with other techniques. But I always
say - whatever works! Although it is fun to try new things. One
technique I saw for young students involved putting their hands on their
heads if they knew the answer . The teacher waited till everyone had
their hands on their head (built in "wait time") and then picked
someone. Would not work with my 8th graders!
MaryB

Mark Alexander wrote:
I do request handraising, as it helps control the chaos in priary
grades. However, I often call of those who do not have their hands up.
Keeps 'em on their toes. Of course I am careful with this, since I don't
want anyone to be embarrassed, and only use it when of when I'm looking
for something where there is not going to be a wrong answer,

---