Re: raised hands

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 16:43:05 PST

I do request handraising, as it helps control the chaos in priary grades. However, I often call of those who do not have their hands up. Keeps 'em on their toes. Of course I am careful with this, since I don't want anyone to be embarrassed, and only use it when of when I'm looking for something where there is not going to be a wrong answer, such as in a brainstorm session, or sometimes when the information I'm looking for is review, and they all should have ingrained anyway. I think the teacher's response to wrong answers is as important as the proceedure the students are asked to follow to answer a question. For example, I might respond to a particularly inventive or witty response, "Wow! That would be really cool, wouldn't it?" or maybe, "I sure wish that were correct, but it isn't. Anyone care to help him/her out here?"
Mark