Re: when things go bad

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 13:06:24 PST

I'd like to add one more thing here - you say he's the HS Quarterback? In my school there are certain requirements for player eligibility - no F's and all detentions must be made up by Friday. Inschool suspension makes you ineligible to play the following week as well. Therefore our coaches are VERY concerned with their player's classroom behavior. My own son goes to a different school and I've gotten phone calls from coaches concerned about his grades - never have gotten a phone call from his teachers. (BTW- my own child believes sports are the only reason to even have school, so I keep in very close contact with his coaches! *L*)
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

  Hi. I come across students like this all the time in my school. My advice is similar to what Bunki said. I teach high school. My best advice is to act quickly. Speak to his counselor and if they can' t get through to him, then call home. If that doesn't work, write him up and he'll get detention. You don't want one student's disrespect to catch on with the other students. If you're not able to reason with him with one talking to then you have to act promptly or you'll lose the rest of the class. High school kids often think that these kids are cool. If nothing works then try to get him out of your class. Seniors or kids who need sequences are a problem. Good luck, Eileen

---