Re: when things go bad

---------

PrimaryE_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 12:49:58 PST

> >From: arcement@datastar.net
> >....If you are able to give me some more clues as to how to
> > deal with the H.S. Quarterback, who is a tenth grader, who refuses to
> quiet
> > when I teach and is constantly vying for someones attention, I would
> really
> > appreciate it. The most intolerable part is that he sasses me daily!!!
> > have sent him to in-school-suspension to make him think, but he will
> > probably come back as cocky as ever! I would love to have some ideas
> that
> > would be creative to give him the attention that he obviously needs,
> without
> > having the rest of my students suffer in the process.
> > Sincerely, Idus in southern Mississippi

Hi. I come across students like this all the time in my school. My advice
is similar to what Bunki said. I teach high school. My best advice is to
act quickly. Speak to his counselor and if they can' t get through to him,
then call home. If that doesn't work, write him up and he'll get detention.
You don't want one student's disrespect to catch on with the other students.
If you're not able to reason with him with one talking to then you have to
act promptly or you'll lose the rest of the class. High school kids often
think that these kids are cool. If nothing works then try to get him out of
your class. Seniors or kids who need sequences are a problem. Good luck,
Eileen

---