Sunflowers and Baby Oil

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 10:44:29 PST

Brenda - I don't remember them outlining their flowers in black - I think it's my cheap-o graphics program that distorts the graphics (although it does look outlined in sharpie!). We color the entire picture with oil pastels, then blend one section at a time with the oil and q-tips - and yes, baby oil works great AND smells nice! I like to have them blend an area, such as the flowers with the oil, then go back over and add shadows with complements. I hide all the black oil pastels during this lesson! One tip I might add is to have them dip the tip of the q-tip in oil, then roll it on the side of the cup to get the excess oil off. This is one of my favorite lessons! :-) For those of you curious as to what this discussion is about I have it posted @ http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/artlessons/sixth/sunflower.html .
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

Hi Michal,
We are doing your state flower painting in oil pastel in 3rd grade.
We are substituting the bluebonnet for the sunflower.
My question is this, after they draw the entire picture in oil pastel, how do they apply the cooking oil. And will baby oil do? I have some of that I am not using.
Do you apply it to all areas or just the water in the container?
It's a great lesson. We've enjoyed talking about the Science connection!
In your picture it looks almost like the sunflower is outlined in black, is that right?
ANy pointers would be appreciated since the Q tip part starts Wednesday.
Thanks
Brenda ---

---