Re: motivation #2 - Survival kit

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 09:46:09 PST

This file sent to me from Roberta Dunkle was also a great motivator (I
called it the Survival Kit for the Art Room Culture)...I would use it
frequently. Everyone was given a copy to keep in their folders in personal
tote trays (you could put it in the sketchbooks or personal folders).
Sometimes all I would have to do is ask them where their toothpick
was?....or where their rubber band was? (you get the idea)....They knew that
I always had my eraser (tee-hee....and lucky for me they had them too ---
smile)...I never had a problem with chewing gum (we were a NO GUM school). I
just had them stick it up on a no-gum poster for all to see -- that way they
always had their chewing gum---and the rest of us did too (smile). I even
had kids who I cought in the hallway stick their gum on my sign (better
there than in the drinking fountain)--they thought it was great. They also
knew that chewing gum was an automatic minor misconduct -- but big deal. I
had a sheet of acetate over the poster so I could start a new one each
trimester. Never had more than two or three pieces up there. Enjoy - I sure
did.

Subject: SURVIVAL KIT

A SURVIVAL KIT FOR EVERY DAY LIVING

 Items Needed:

 Toothpick
 Rubber Band
 Band Aid
 Pencil
 Eraser
 Chewing Gum
 Mint
 Candy Kiss
 Tea Bag

 Why???

1) TOOTHPICK - to remind you to pick out the good
   qualities in others.

2) RUBBER BAND - to remind you to be flexible, things might
   not always go the way you want, but it will work out.

3) BAND AID - to remind you to heal hurt feelings, yours or
   someone else's.

4) PENCIL - to remind you to list your blessings everyday.

5) ERASER - To remind you that everyone makes mistakes, and
   its OK.

6) CHEWING GUM - to remind you to stick with it and you can
   accomplish anything.

7) MINT - to remind you that you are worth a mint.

8) CANDY KISS - to remind you that everyone needs a kiss or
   a hug everyday.

9) TEA BAG - to remind you to relax daily and reflect on all
   the positive things in your life. A verbal wound is as bad
   as a physical one.

P.S. for Roberta....I just thought you would like to know....We miss you on
the Getty list.

---