Re: motivation #2

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 08:25:59 PST

I always have slides of exemplary past student work to prove to current
students that they CAN do the assignment. The pieces that were accepted
into a regional show, and those that placed, always get attention
because often the students know the winners.

Regular critiques of work-in-progress helps also. I put all the work on
the chalkboards with magnets and they have to write down their thoughts
on how they're doing and what they need to work on. Being able to see
how the other students are doing in comparison gives them some
inspiration.

My best weapon for inciting interest in pottery-throwing is to bring in
the P.E. teacher/football coach (yes, you read this correctly). He took
a lot of ceramics in college and will always find time to demonstrate in
my class. MY throwing a pot doesn't elicit much excitement--"of course
she can do it, she's the art teacher"--but HIS doing so really gets them
motivated!

Unusual materials or better-grade supplies are also motivators. They
love illustration board, which I use sparingly for the really big
assignments that take a lot of preparation. When I had a working
airbrush compressor I would teach a few students airbrush painting; at
the beginning of a painting unit I would tell them that only students
who proved willing to learn new things and could work with little
supervision and clean up after themselves would be allowed to use the
airbrush.

Maggie

J & M Bolyard wrote:

> I am wondering what things you do to motivate your students?

---