Re: motivation

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 19:21:09 PST

Motivating to Middle Schoolers ????

I start with designs based on their own names in the sixth grade.

We spend a whole semester on the face in the seventh grade.
Self portraits always are a motivation once their confidence is
built up to really tackle it.

When we get into figures in the eight grade, Sports is a good subject.
I used the winter olympics as a source last year.

Tomorrow I'm taking Hopi Kachina dolls to school for them to draw.
They seem to be open to most subjects I present. I think it's how you
present it. I try to relate to the subjects I present and make them
come alive by telling related stories. Mostly what I tell them is true,
or close to it. I've got to be careful cause they tend to believe almost
anything you tell them. This age group is a real joy to teach.

                                                        Woody in KC

If the teachers has a passion for what they teach and transmits that
passion to the students they will be motivated.

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $15