motivation

---------

From: J & M Bolyard (gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 17:27:05 PST

Hi all,
Yes, I'm still around. Just not on- line much these days, since things
are super busy(and that is an understatement). Anyhow , I need some
input for a paper I'm writing for my Masters. I'm wondering what are
some of your favorite strategies for motivating students or maybe it is
somthing that is a part of your regular day. Whatever , I'd be happy to
hear about it.
I've been surveying my middle school kids about what motivates them. Of
course some of it is predictable. But I found it interesting how much
they all like demonstrations . One of the popular answers( now remember
this is middle school) was working with a partner.
Since I'm asking for your feedback ,I will share with you something that
was fun and motivating that I did with the 7th gr.recently. I was
introducing portraiture and told them one of the most famous paintings
in the world is a portrait and someone would model it. They would have
to guess what picture it was the volunteer was modeling. One student
held a frame in front of the costumed student, one held a dark greenish
landscape(drawn on constrction paper)behind her and another student
dressed with a black shawl and veil , folded her hands and gave a slight
smile. The majority knew immediately it was the Mona Lisa. That led to
more discussion of other portraits. It was simple but really got them
thinking about portraits.
So send me any motivating things you do!
MaryB

---