Re: NCLB- I need ideas-Help

---------

From: carolyn roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 07:39:02 PST

When I taught at the middle school six years ago, we introduced that program
and all of the elective teachers gave up part of our planning period to work
with a group of students and used this reading program with them. Just
about all of their scores increased that year. I recommend that anyone look
into it.
Carolyn

> The schools in my district instituted SRA's Corrective REading program
> in the fall. At my HS, we snipped a few minutes here and there and
> stretched the school day about 10 minutes in the a.m. and p.m. (that
> alone requires special dispensation from the omnipotent transportation
> dept.--the bus runs are SO important, you know). We now have a 40-minute
> period tucked into the schedule each day (our periods are 80 minutes).
> Every teacher has a reading group that meets every day for the whole
> year. We think it's working well, and I don't think we had to eliminate
> any classes or teachers. It took a lot of cooperation between admin and
> staff to do this; luckily, we're a pretty cohesive bunch who work
> together well.
> Maggie

---