Re: NCLB- I need ideas-Help

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 07:37:29 PST

Renee,

The schools in my district instituted SRA's Corrective REading program
in the fall. At my HS, we snipped a few minutes here and there and
stretched the school day about 10 minutes in the a.m. and p.m. (that
alone requires special dispensation from the omnipotent transportation
dept.--the bus runs are SO important, you know). We now have a 40-minute
period tucked into the schedule each day (our periods are 80 minutes).
Every teacher has a reading group that meets every day for the whole
year. We think it's working well, and I don't think we had to eliminate
any classes or teachers. It took a lot of cooperation between admin and
staff to do this; luckily, we're a pretty cohesive bunch who work
together well.

Two elementary schools have their primary teachers tutor grades 4-6
after the little kids go home. They're also using CR. I don't think
they get paid extra. I'm not sure if our MS is doing it. I'll try to
find out and let you know how they managed it.

Good luck with this. Hope your admin isn't afraid to work with the
staff to find a mutually agreeable solution.

Maggie

Renee.Berg@k12.sd.us wrote:

> Dear Art Supporters, Due to No Child Left Behind, the axe fell yesterday. They want to add 3 reading teachers to our middle school and are reducing all exploration or elective choices, some they are eliminating. At least art is not being eliminated but it reduced by 6 weeks at 7th grade and reduction of offerings at 8th grade level. They are trying to cut staff to pay for the reading teachers. I want to know some ways that other districts are adding reading without cutting other programs.

---