RE: Can plaster be fired in a Kiln...

---------

cvsnare_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 05:54:07 PST

I have used plaster in a kiln, but at relative low temperatures. The reason I had it in the kiln was that we were doing glass sculptures -- we made clay masks, being careful not to leave undercuts, poured plaster around them to make molds, removed the clay after the plaster hardened, filled the plaster mold with pieces of glass, and placed the mold in the kiln to melt the glass. I had mixed results -- some of the molds broke apart when heated -- however I did get some good results from others. I suspect the difference is in having the plaster as dry as possible, and being able to get the kiln just hot enough to melt the glass without going hotter. Obviously, there is likely to be air bubbles in the plaster too, which of course, along with the moisture is a problem.
Jeff Abney
Georgia

arcement@datastar.net wrote:

>A question for my friends...
>
>The other art teacher at school wants to fire plaster in the kiln.  If this is safe and how must it be done?  Are there any special instructions that we need to know before she tries it?
>
>Thanks for your replies,
>
>Idus in Southern Mississippi  ( about one hour from New Orleans)
>

>---

---