Jeryl's Leaf Bowls Lesson Plan online - IAD

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 06:51:31 PST

Jeryl Hollingsworth's clay leaf bowls were such a popular discussion last
fall that
I asked her for the lesson to post to Incredible Art Department:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/jeryl-leaf.htm

This lesson was done with third graders - but could be adapted to lower
grades - and upper grades. I made small draped slab leaf bowls with
kindergartners (aided by my sixth grade students). The sixth graders made
larger leaf impressions in clay, cut into round or irregular shape and
draped over plaster humps. We underglazed the leaf textures then coated with
clear glaze. The back/bottom side of the bowl was glazed a solid color (to
coordinate with the underglazes). The sixth grade bowls were sold during
silent auction to raise money for the food bank. Teachers bid on the bowls
after school and students durng lunch periods. Minimum bid was $5.00 (in
general, if a student bid $5.00 for the bowl - they took in then during
their lunch period - I delivered bowls bid on by the teachers - wrapped
nicely in tissue paper with a thank you not attached signed by the student).
If students wanted to keep their bowl - they brought in $5.00. The students
made a second bowl/vessel --an effigy that required much more skill - to
keep.

Jeryl's lesson is linked from:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/elemlessons.html

Please continue to send in favorite plans to share on Incredible Art
Department.

Judy Decker

P.S. for Jeryl...Did you have to use any kind of separator between the clay
and the Styrofoam? I din't have to using the plaser humps --- but have
needed plastic wrap to keep clay from sticking to the Styrofoam. I listed
plastic wrap as optional.

P.P.S. I do apologize for the number of posts I have made to the list....but
honestly, if I put it all into one big post - nothing would get
read....smile

---