sandpainting.. sandpaper and colored pencil alternative :)

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 03:49:12 PST

Hi All,
I do (mock) sand painting with my third graders as we study Native American life.

I use cheap fine grit sandpaper (dollar stores usually carry this stuff), drawn on with cheap colored pencils. ( as they will wear away to nothing), due to the sandpaper surface.
 We use Native American Symbols to build a story.
 We start by doing the story (pictogram) on white paper,
then when it is all colored in (our plan) we draw it again onto the same size sand paper. (
usually 1/4 of a 9x 12 sheet)
 Some kids love it , some hate it. but they all finish it.
They do actually get a feel for what it is somewhat like to draw on a rough stone cave wall.

hope this helps,
Christine Besack :)

ps ---- If I find my pics of these I will send them out if anyone wants to see them.

---