Re: Color theory

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 15:12:39 PST

Why study all this color theory and scheme stuff? Great question, one that I frequently asked my teachers back in the beginning of my study of art.
I believe many have a natural and intuitive sense about how to handle most of the elements and principles of design. Unfortunately, many do not, or maybe they have lost faith in their intuitive abilities. A synthesis of the factors at play in art might help bring about an understanding of them and encourage the use of these sometimes complicated concepts.
I have come to realize that just like teaching any of the other elements and principles of art, color theory and color schemes is simply one more way to help students create order out of chaos. It gives students one more set of rules to guide them...or to depart from. I also believe that studying the frameworks and theories surrounding these concepts enables the practitioner more intellegent and freer future choices.
Great question. Thanks.
Peace, Mark