Re: Color theory

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 14:02:00 PST

Good question.

We teach it because it falls into those "organizational principles." The
schemes make safe, sometimes effective choices.
But color is a cultural, "fashiony", fad thing and I wonder ??????

I wonder back to the color theory classes I had in college and the projects
I had to do where I just didn't "see" the color relationships that I was
supposed to see. Yet I have a natural sense of color and spent years in the
fashion and interior design industries being a colorist.

Schemes are just that ... schemes and something to deviate from.
I hate to interfere too much with the intuitive sense of color choices and I
find it difficult to teach the emotional and expressive aspects of color.

Color theory (the light principles) is difficult stuff. Simple color schemes
barely touch on the color interaction.

But it's a place to start and that's mostly what we do isn't it ?
 Start Art

> Subject: Re: Color theory
>
> Hi, I've been teaching my kids about color schemes...triads, split
> complements---I started wondering why we do this??? I use complements
> all the time and feel that they are important to teach with painting,
> but what is the point of teaching color schemes???

---