Re: Faux deckle edge?

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 16:10:23 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Maggie White <mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com>
> Does anyone have any hints on creating a fake deckle edge on paper? I
> love the raw edges of handmade paper, but when one or two sides have to
> cut or torn to size it doesn't look good. > Maggie
*********************
Hi, Mag.....
I bought a deckle ruler (18") and DO like it. If you don't want to spend $$$
(and a deckle ruler is not cheap), you can go another route.

Remember when I was trying your illuminating manuscript lesson with the
shellaced paper towel edge, Maggie, I posted a tip about making edges? The
tip is to lay a reg. ruler down shy of the edge and take a wet brush and
layer water along the edge until soaked. When fully soaked, pull the edge of
the paper away from the main part of the paper (while holding down the
ruler) and the ruler edge will look soft and deckled. It's not a perfect
solution but it IS a free solution that works. If you want "easy" get a
deckle ruler.

Looking forward to your illum. workshop at the NAEA....and also Ken's
embossing and Suzie-Q's Japanese presentations. Toodles....Bunki

---