Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Humor in Art - a Must See Exhibit

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 08:51:38 PST

Naturally I am exploring Woody's page --and I put a link to it on my site: (if you missed his post)

Check out:

NMAI Conexus: Indian Humor from the Smithsonian. "Indian Humor was organized to attempt to show both a small piece of the diversity which exists among living Native American artists and communities, as well as to counter institutionalized historical and cultural misrepresentations of Indian life." A must see exhibit!
I really like these Gail Tremblay figures too:
Nice mask - Muriel Antoine
Tie in with a lesson on money - creating a new design:
Jean LaMarr assemblage - reminds me of Bette Saar
Jack Malotte portrait -nice drawing
Lillian Pitt - great sculputre - what every art teacher needs (smile)

These are more updates I found from Woody's page
Legacy of Generations Pottery of American Indian women. Read the Introduction and History. The Avant- Garde gives links to biography and photograph of each artist in the exhibit.
Blue Rain Gallery: Contemporary Native American Regional Art Pull down menu allows you to search by artist -- or select from choice of media. while this is a commercial site - the images are high quality.

Glossary of Pueblo Pottery Terms: from Collector's Guide. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page to link to related articles on Pueblo pottery. I enjoyed The First Story Teller.

These found on Americas Divestiy:

I can see I will have to divide this page up soon.
My apologies to digest users fo sending this as html... I a hoping my hyperlinks remain for those who get the messages as they are posted.

P.S. for Woody - I will have to do some exploring on your site to see what else I missed.