Re: Plastic Easter Eggs? Darumas Dolls

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 07:08:31 PST

I replied to Michal's message off list to Art Educators --but thought others
might want to know too. It was for Darumas Dolls - Paper mache. I have an
email with images I will send to anyone off list (jdecker@woh.rr.com) --Lin
(who sent me the images) might be able to give you more detailed
instructions email)

Hey - I found one post to the Getty list:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Mar02/0482.html

Some information:
http://allsands.com/Hobbies/darumadolls_bht_gn.htm

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/daruma.shtml

Daruma dolls are popular in Japan, particularly at the time of the New Year
celebrations. They are said to have got their rounded shape and their name
from a 6th century Buddhist priest called Bodhidharma. He lost the use of
his legs after sitting in meditation for nine years.
Daruma dolls are used to help wishes come true. They are brought with no
eyeballs painted in. The doll's left eye is painted when a wish is made. The
other is filled in when the wish comes true.

Judy Decker