sketch books in elementary and castles.

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 18:04:03 PST

All my students in grades 3-5 have a sketchbook that we make at the beginning of the year with pocket folders from Walmart -the PTO bought them for us. I use all one color for a class and keep them in a copy paper box lid on shelves. Students decorate the covers on the first class day and they kuse the pockets fro storing hand-outs. They use the sketchbooks for taking notes, making plans, practicing , drawing in if they finish early, etc... Right now the 5th graders are drawing castles after we started with some perspective lessons. I found a site that had castles and perspectives together and copied a page for them. We borrowed cans from our food drive boxes and they drew from observation to get cylinders looking right and we used a couple of Jay Conley's drawing pages on castles to get them really started. I have a power point with tons of castles photos that I play on the big tv while they are working and this week I read to them from one of the castle books I got at the library while they were working. They are really into this project and interested in life in the Middle Ages. They are drawing with pencil on 12 x18 sheets of watercolor and then will outline with skinny sharpies and end with water color washes.
     Jeryl in SC

---