Re: Glass Beads

---------

From: dzinn (dzinn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 12:40:24 PST

Hi all, (This is response to Barb's question from a wonderful glass
beadmaker -- I'm copying to artednets so all can benefit. Deb of
Colorado)

Her response:

My 2 cents,

(I'm copying this to Barbara, as her email address is
listed below)

The Dick Blick set is a good, basic startup set. I
have heard good things about the torch head that they
are selling with it, but it is not one that I have
personally used. The one VITAL thing this set-up is
missing is the proper safety glasses! For this level
of set-up a Rose Dididyum lens will suffice and can be
purchased from any glass beadmaker supply place (two
of which I've listed below)

I would not suggest purchasing replacement rods from
Dick Blick, as you can get a much better price and
assortment options from a true art glass supplier,
such as Frantz Art Glass or ArrowSprings. Also, at
least at Frantz, everyone who answers the phones
either has or currently makes beads or works glass,
and they are tremendously helpful.

I do not know the quality of the instructions they
give out, but please make sure you work in a very well
ventilated area. I would suggest picking up a good
book on the subject, or taking a class with someone
fairly local to you. (I live in Texas also, so I might
be able to hook you up with an instructor)

http://www.frantzartglass.com/
http://www.arrowsprings.com/

Great reference forum on glass beadmaking:
http://www.isgb.org (International Society of Glass
Beadmakers)

Hope that this helps!

Jhan of http://www.timelessbeads.com