Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 08:53:03 PST

Yeah..i remember in school they said that we would go completely metric
and there would be no more inches! I can tell you that in the
elementary school here there is little mention of using meters. Of
course, the same is for inches too.

>>> 02/12/03 10:16AM >>>
As I remember Elem. School, we had a large blow-up of a ruler up on
wall with ALL the markings down to (if memory serves) 1/16th inch.
blow-up was about 4-5 feet long and we were given a number of
to practice reading and converting the markings and learning that
8/16ths was the same as 4/8ths, 2/4trs, and 1/2.

Of course, these days there is most likely, and most likely ought to
more use and learning of the meter stick, which takes about 1/2 the
to learn in that its all in powers of 10. Much simpler.

But the practice and learning can't be avoided and simplifying it will
only slow the student from learning.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant