Re: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 08:49:55 PST

michael...i understand why you are doing it...i'm just wondering aloud
if that is the best way...not really sure if i have a better one just
yet!
i'm going to try teaching a ruler lesson to my 2nd graders and give
them a ruler that has everything including 1/16th. I'm going to have
them count how many lines are between the end of the ruler and the 1.
And then explain how they divide the inch into many different ways. In
halves, in fours, in eighths, and in sixteenths. We'll do a quick
drill, and then an assignent where they make art using measurements.
Maybe simple shapes with measured sides, or maybe something else.
Anyway...when you're learning about art, the elements of art are a key
role. One of which is size. Keep letting those kids know it's
important!
aaron

>>> whest177@wheatstate.com 02/12/03 08:21AM >>>
Aaron - actually, this came directly from the woman who is involved
with out
state math assessment. The state math assessment asks for students to
measure to the "x" inch, and so we need to ensure that our students
know how
to measure up to that amount, and they need to know it well. The theory
is
is that once they thouroughly understand 1/2" then you can teach 1/4",
then
1/8", etc. I for one am going to try it. I taught my middle school
students
how to cut a matt yesterday and they got this "DUH" look on their faces
when
I brought out the rulers. I got the "but this is ART class, how come we
have
to do math?" questions, and of course I explained what we were doing
and how
much it costs locally to have someone cut that matt for you. I am
always
amazed at how frustrated students get when we ask them to measure. I
hope
this answers your question - obviously the idea is that K-2 students
learn
to measure to the 1/2" mark, 3-4 to the 1/4", and advance them from
there.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> michael,
> i'm wondering how effective the ruler strategy will be with
> "simplifying" the marks. the problem i forsee is that students will
be
> used to using a simple ruler and be presented in a test with a
different
> ruler and be confused...what do you think?

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---