Re: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 07:22:28 PST

Are you saying that a Kindergarten student should be able to use a regular
ruler? We are using a simplified ruler with only 1" marks at this level and
they are understanding the basics. Our second graders are using rulers
marked to 1 1/2" and they are truly understanding the concept of measuring.
Many of my current middle school students did not understand the basics of
the ruler when I taught them matting and I know they have all been taught
this in their classroom. The current method of teaching them isn't working.
Just like the discussion of perspective the concept of measuring is
difficult to many students. I wonder how many people on this list are
sitting in judgement of my school's use of simplifying rulers to help
students understand better. I will share our state test results when they
come in - I know they will improve as we are already seeing results. If your
methods are working please share what you are doing.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> But the practice and learning can't be avoided and simplifying it will
> only slow the student from learning.
>
> > i'm wondering how effective the ruler strategy will be with
> > "simplifying" the marks.

---