Re: perspective for 5th grade and beyond

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 18:28:32 PST

Just what is "mastery"? in any art thing? We have these standards now
that denote proficient and less than proficient and mastery

and I don't know what it is???????

mastery of perspective to me means that the concept can be applied to all
situations not just the given lesson. So if a 5th grade student can draw his
name in one pt. perspective, but then you ask him to draw the hall and can't
make the connection is it mastered?

I'm not trying to be "smart-alecky." I'm beginning a research project on
assessment in the arts and I really want to know how skills and
comprehension are assessed according to the standards. I don't think I'll
ever see a state test on the arts here in Pa, but if it would happen, I
don't know how proficiency or mastery would be evaluated.

I'm 51 years old and I haven't mastered the pencil yet ( at least in my
mind)

Patty
and BTW I'm a pretty visually aware person, but I'm perspective impaired
-- at least by the formulas but I've almost mastered it by
observation

>> From: "Aaron Hopkins" <hopkiaar@wcboe.k12.md.us>
>> i have found that perspective is a visual awareness which can be
>> taught...my fifth graders do a one point perspective assignment and
>> usually two-thirds get the concept and almost half master the idea.
>
> Well...(in your words)...if it's "a visual awareness which can be taught",
> how come 1/3 of your class can't get the concept and only 1/2 can master it?
> Toodles...Bunki

---