RE: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 07:16:41 PST

As I remember Elem. School, we had a large blow-up of a ruler up on the
wall with ALL the markings down to (if memory serves) 1/16th inch. The
blow-up was about 4-5 feet long and we were given a number of worksheets
to practice reading and converting the markings and learning that
8/16ths was the same as 4/8ths, 2/4trs, and 1/2.

Of course, these days there is most likely, and most likely ought to be,
more use and learning of the meter stick, which takes about 1/2 the time
to learn in that its all in powers of 10. Much simpler.

But the practice and learning can't be avoided and simplifying it will
only slow the student from learning.

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

> i'm wondering how effective the ruler strategy will be with
> "simplifying" the marks.

---