Sculpey scraps

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 06:18:46 PST

I used Sculpey with my 7th graders to make small masks. each student made a
cane - and we shared slices... the masks were small - no larger than 3" x
4". But I always hate to use sculpey, because of the cost... and worrying
over wasted material.

No matter what you do with canes - there are always scrap pieces. If we
were making beads - the scraps would be the center of the bead, covered with
slices - but I was ending up with a lot...
I used the pasta machine to knead all of the colors together - as expected
you get a brown (maroon-ish).. I cut out some simple shapes (again - about
2" x 3") and gave one to each student. They had to cut away some of the
original piece, use the cut off piece to build back on the slab - find small
tools/ shaped wires to add impressions. Tiny work. Before I baked the
clay, the students used Pearl -Ex powders on the clay - I had white, blue,
gold and copper... then bake and seal - the scrap clay masks looked like
small metal artifacts - they were beautiful. And what a plus to come out of
the project without one scrap of clay -

Over the years I have read posts about projects with coins, medallions etc -
just wanted to share this-

Ellen

---